Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Malasada Day in Hawai'i nei



Worldwide, people from different cultures take part in Lent. This is a period of 40 days that you give up something of meaning or something that you enjoy. Although the tradition has evolved over the years, it originated with the abstinence of rich foods. Many people gave up meats, eggs, dairy, etc. As a day to purge your home from these rich ingredients came the holiday Shrove Tuesday (a.k.a. Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras). 

The tradition of Shrove Tuesday was adapted into many cultures. This was a day that they would cook with these ingredients and indulge in them before starting a clean period of Lent. Shrove Tuesday was created because they wanted to give these items up, but not let them go to waste. Some countries made pastries and others made pancakes, but the Portuguese made an irresistible treat known as Malasadas!!!  

Homemade Malasadas!

Malasadas are a Portuguese donut: fried dough, rolled in sugar. I’ve read many descriptions on what a malasada is, and let me correct you. Malasadas are not filled with dobash, haupia, or custard. And they’re not covered in cinnamon or lihing mui. They are covered in sugar and lots of it! Don’t get me wrong, I love a good haupia “malasada” from Leonard’s Bakery once in a while, but that’s not traditional.



During the plantation days, the Portuguese brought their tradition of making malasadas for Shrove Tuesday to Hawai’i. At this period in time, other races adapted different parts of each culture to make Hawai’i into what it is today - a cultural melting pot. Many cultures became accustomed to this tradition. And now, we in Hawai’i know it as MALASADA DAY!!!!!!!!!
Ono Malasadas! Pili and Kahanu pigging out with Grandma!

Grandma, Aaliyah, Aunty Rocki, Kehau, and Pili making malasadas!
                               

Malasada Day is a big tradition in my family. Every year we all get up early to make malasadas. This process takes a few hours, but it’s so worth it! The tradition was passed from generation to generation. It’s a really meaningful day to me because it reminds me of my Grandma Violet. Some of my best memories with my grandma were made in the kitchen. Every Malasada Day, we’d get a call early in the morning from my grandma telling me that she had a bag of malasadas waiting for me if I flew down to Hilo. It’s been almost 2 years since my grandma moved on to heaven, but I’m glad that I was able to learn how to make malasadas.

Cooking with Grandma <3

For the past few years, my mom and I have carried on the tradition by making malasadas for our friends and family to enjoy. This year, we made 3 batches (approximately 15 dozen malasadas). We got our hands covered in dough, our shirts a mess, and our house to smell like malasadas (which I’m not complaining about lol). 

Before letting the dough rise.
After the dough has risen.


Frying the malasadas.


Overall, I would say that Malasada Day was a success!!! Our malasadas were golden-brown and covered in sugar with an airy, delicious center.

The outcome of our malasadas!
Even if you didn’t have a malasada today, treat yourself to something. Celebrate the day by indulging and not feeling guilty about it! 

HAPPY MALASADA DAY!!!

If you don't have sugar on your lips, you're not eating it right! LOL

THANKS FOR READING!!!

P.s.- If you’re interested in reading some other cool blogs by my cousins, check out Kepaaloha to read about his study abroad in Italy and HappyNathaniel to read about her great life and health advice!

1 comment: